... cooked up by Eddie Nuttall for the Touch Recipe Book
Cider and Red Onion Soup
Ingredients (Serves 2):
1 x Red Onion
1 x Vegetable Stock Cube
2 x Cans of Cider (doesn’t have to be fancy (Strongbow, Magners, etc.). However, do not use White Ace or White Lightning or similar, this is not a good thing to put into your body under any circumstances)
Salt/sugar/mixed herbs to taste
1. Chop red onion into small rings
2. Heat a blob of olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the onions
3. When onions are translucent (but not browned), add the cider and the stock cube
4. Simmer on a medium heat for roughly 20-30mins. At around the 15-20min mark the cider should start to reduce and the alcohol should have evaporated. This sometimes takes slightly longer, so taste the mixture periodically. When the alcohol has evaporated, add the salt/sugar/mixed herbs depending on your taste (it's trickier to gauge the overall flavour before the alcohol has gone)
5. Continue to simmer until the soup has reduced to a nice, thicker consistency
6. Serve in a back garden with black pepper and interesting bread. Note pinkish colouration from the onions.
The means are slightly crooked, but the end results are amazing.